Would you like to Help?


Hi! Thank you for visiting my blog! I look forward to sharing my journey to the Warriors without Weapons program with you! Today, I wanted to share a little video that a friend helped me make on Dharavi. The two of us spent about a week in the famous Mumbai slum, documenting whatever caught our eye, trying to capture the chaos and energy of the place. It was edited in a hurry, but it's okay:) It still gives a good snapshot of what it feels like:



Dharavi was important for me since it was where I began to understand urban communities more deeply, as well as the socio-economic and political factors that shape our cities, from skyscrapers to slums. I started to think about the meaning of community, of citizens' rights and community engagement. It sparked a thought process that has brought me to where I am today, ready to take the next step in this search! 

Turning from thinker to doer – my motivations

The first question I asked myself as I began to prepare myself for the program was: what could I bring back from my experience to contribute to urban communities here in India? My experience through my thesis research and volunteer work assured me that these were places of immense potential and hope.

For a long time I was content to simply observe and write, as I tried to understand the cause for the inequalities in our society. But now I’ve decided to follow my heart. It is time to get engaged and transform – to stop speculating and take concrete steps to materialize my dreams!

Brazil and India in the 21st Century face similar socio-economic challenges. Top down approaches are insufficient, and change has to happen from the ground up, starting at the community level. People’s dreams and desires are the same the world over, be it in Santos or in Mumbai.

This is in essence the belief in learning from the local to impact the global – in other words, articulating global networks while managing projects with local talents and resources. Together with the other participants, I hope to become part of a supportive global network, working together to change the world.


So how much do I need to raise? 

When I knew that I had been selected as one of 60 out of more than 400 applicants, I was overjoyed, but also a bit apprehensive. By myself, I certainly couldn’t afford the full cost of the program. However, I’m certain that with your help, I can make it happen!

In order to make this journey possible, I need to be able to cover my expenses for the trip. This includes my travel to Brazil as well as living expenses during the program. The total cost of the program is:  
                                         13,200 Reais or Rs.2.7 lakhs – ($4000 – €3600)

Flight tickets and visa:     5000 Reais or Rs.1 lakh – ($1500 – €1400 Euro)

My aim is to realize at least a part of this cost, and I’ve set my target as:

                                         10,000 Reais or 2 lakhs – ($3000 – €2700)



Also, to find out more about what I'm doing, and to find out more about the Elos Foundation and the wonderful work that they do, check out the website: 


If you believe in my cause and would like to contribute, I would love it if you could take a few minutes to visit this Paypal account page and donate!:
https://www.paypal.me/SriramNatarajan

 How much would you like to give? Maybe $20? Maybe $40? Maybe more or less? It doesn’t matter! Every little contribution counts, and I will be thankful to all of you for whatever you can give! I have until the end of June to raise the amount, and I am extremely excited! Follow this blog for updates on how it's all going. Thank you for the love and support! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Yes Path!