No such thing as 'going it alone'!


Warriors without Weapons

About a year and a half ago, I first heard about Warriors without Weapons from a friend who had been part of the program in 2012. As we sat in his apartment on that cool November evening, Mukund described to me how the month that he spent in Brazil, working together with an inspiring and enthusiastic group of people, had transformed him. Every single moment of the time that he was in Santos – working long hours under the sun, singing songs with the neighbourhood kids, and learning to love in some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the city, each moment had left an indelible mark on his being, and had really taught him about the meaning of community.

Community participation is an integral part of the transformation philosophy

The idea of community was something I had been pondering over for a while. A few months earlier I had completed my thesis focussing on a migrant community in Dharavi, a slum in Mumbai. The research had been eye opening, but raised more questions than it answered, and exposed me to the deep inequalities that exist in this city of contrasts. More importantly it had shaken me out of the sort of idealistic reverie that young people hoping to change the world are prone to.
Dharavi wasn’t an impoverished and wretched place that needed our help – it was dynamic, vibrant, and clearly fully of amazingly resourceful and driven people, who had overcome social and economic challenges to set up and run thriving businesses, turning this informal settlement into an economic hotspot. In Dharavi, the power of resourcefulness and community initiative was on full display.

This Dharavi community funded and collectively built a school and open community space for the neighbourhood


What particularly interested me about the Warriors program was that it wasn’t just some idealistic social justice crusade. “Sure there’s a lot of holding hands, but the program is really about identifying the dynamic energies and abundant resources of the community in order to envision a realistic and attainable goal,” Mukund says. So it is a step-by-step process to concretely transform communities by mobilizing their own strengths. These weren’t poor people that needed our help – what the program did was provide a platform for them to help themselves. I immediately placed this in the context of Dharavi, and something seemed to click. Of course, going for the program wasn’t going to be easy. WWW receives hundreds of applications each year, but only sixty participants are selected for the month-long immersive workshop.

Discussions with local residents for a community building project


This thought that was born on that fateful evening will hopefully culminate this July, when I’ll finally make the long-awaited trip to Brazil! In January I took the plunge with the Yes Path, the selection process for the program, and couldn’t quite believe that I’d been selected. Ever since then, life has been exciting, unexpected and transformative! I’ve come to learn that the Warriors’ Transformation philosophy is not just about transforming communities, but also the self – a process that has already begun. Through the Yes Path, I began to introspect, think more deeply about my choices in life, and the values and belief-systems that we often take for granted. Now, with the Abundance game, the second step of this transformative process begins.

The beginning of this year was also the beginning of a transformative process!

The Abundance game is aimed at enabling each of us to fund our way to Brazil through various means. When I first decided on creating some kind of crowdfunding campaign in order to raise the money, I was frankly nervous, even a bit embarrassed. Asking for help isn’t easy for the best of us, because it feels like an admission of our own limitations, making us vulnerable. I didn’t think I could do it, but I’ve now slowly begun to challenge these unfounded apprehensions. I realized that before starting, I had to trust in myself and the value of what I’m doing, to understand that people around me are ready to share my dream and support me, and ultimately to realize the immense value of the people I’ve been fortunate enough to connect with in my life – this is what the Abundance game is all about! That brought me out of my shell, and it has been liberating. Now I’m ready to share my experiences with you, and all I need is your love and support in return!


Help me join a global network of change-makers who are transforming communities around the world!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Yes Path!